Monday, November 4, 2013

Sour Cream Scones...

I never really had a scone until I was probably 25 or so. I imagined them to be hard, flavorless, and dry; somewhere along the lines of eating a stone. The first time I had one was when I was working in pastry kitchens, and I was blown away! Soft, flaky, and slightly sweet. 



Working in large fancy hotels we had high tea, complete with small pastries, finger sandwiches, tea, and of course scones. Everything was perfectly displayed on beautiful dishes, the best linens were pulled out, everything was suit for a queen. I've never actually had the opportunity to attend high tea, but I dream of it. I see my girlfriends there wearing big obnoxious hats (cause that how we roll), eating like ladies, and drinking tea with pinkies pointed high. Ok, maybe not to that level but it does sound fun. 


This recipe is super easy to make, you can have scones from start to finish in less than 30 minutes. 

In a food processor:
Pulse together dry ingredients. 
Add cubed butter, and pulse until resembles course meal.


Add sour cream and egg yolk, pulse together until dough comes together.


Dump onto work surface and bring dough together, forming a ball. Its important to work fast, as to not melt butter with your hands.


Flatten into disc shape, about 8 inches in diameter.


Cut into 8 triangle pieces.


Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with tubinado sugar.

Bake in preheated 350ยบ F oven for about 12-15 minutes, until bottoms are slightly browned. 

Cool and serve with butter, jam, and clotted cream. 


What is your opinion on scones?

Sour Cream Scones

makes 8

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar, I used Vanilla Sugar
2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cubed and very cold
1 Cup Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche
1 Egg Yolk
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Turbinado Sugar














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!