Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Farewell to Chef...

Yesterday was a day of shock, a day questions, and a day of remembering. We lost a great man, Chef Charlie Trotter. 

When I first enrolled in pastry school I knew that I wanted to work for the best, and in Chicago the best was Chef Trotter. After graduating I called Chef Amy Biller and requested a stage, she agreed to my working for free for one day just  to prove myself. I remember walking into the hot kitchen, so nervous and ready to do anything to work there. Its was an experience I would soon not forget. 

I had a passion for pastry so strong that I would eventually leave my job that I was making 60K a year to make a little more than minimum wage. But it was about more than the money, it was the thrill and excitement, the learning, and the opportunity to work for the best. I made many friends and learned a  lifetime of knowledge.

I will carry Chefs' philosophy of EXCELLENCE through my lifetime, a reminder that I need presently. I have and will always feel honored to have worked under this man. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!