Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake and slowing down...

I will be the first to admit my last post was a little rushed when written, I was realizing that when typing it up. So I will make an effort to slow down and make a little  a lot more sense. Sometimes I get overzealous and think that I can do everything; raising a son on my own, working two sometimes three jobs, have a social life, and this blog too...just to name a few parts of my crazy life.  I just need to put it all in order.

 I came across this recipe via Bon Appetit and adapted it a little to suit my own tastes and ingredients in my kitchen. While most baking and pastry you need to follow the recipe exactly, you can adjust with a little patience and skill. Most of the recipes I find on Pinterest and magazines have to be adjusted to altitude, not a fun task when all your baking experience and education came from sea level. 


I love this recipe because its a no bake cheesecake, all mixed together in the food processor, easy peezy! The custard is so light and creamy, the crust is nice and crispy with a really nice graham cracker taste. I'm thinking these would be wonderful in a miniature size for a dessert table at your next party!

Crust:
1 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
3 Tablespoons Sugar
small pinch salt

Mix all ingredients and press firmly into a spring form pan and bake in 325 degree oven for 10 minutes. 
Let cool.

Custard Filling:

1 Package Knox Powdered Gelatin
1 Pound Cream Cheese, room temperature
2 Cups Greek Yogurt, preferably Fage
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 teaspoon Orange Extract 
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt

In a heatproof bowl place 2 Tablespoons cold water and sprinkle gelatin on top, this is called "blooming".
Place remaining ingredients in a food processor and mix well, scraping down the bowl and blade.
Once gelatin is "bloomed" microwave for 10 second intervals, slowly melting gelatin. Should take about 20 seconds total, depending on microwave.
Add gelatin while food processor is running and custard is free of lumps.
Pour into prepared graham cracker crust and chill for 6 hours or overnight. 

To remove from pan, use a hot paring knife around cake, release spring, and transfer to a plate.

Garnish with fresh berries that have been sweetened up. 

Enjoy!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!