Monday, July 1, 2013

Peach and Thyme Cobbler and enjoying best summer in years...

Hello there, hope you all are enjoying Summer 2013, I know I am. This has got to be the best summer I have had in years. So much planned and happening I could just bust! Last week I went to my first Red Rocks show and had a blast, Boo and I have been working at his place painting and getting ready for his housewarming party that is in a few weeks, Liam and I have been spending many hours at the pool and getting ready for his first sleep over. Its a jam packed summer and I feel like its all going too quickly. We have a fun filled week of party after party and cannot wait to cook and bake and have fun with the people I love! What are your Fourth of July plans?

We have been getting some amazing peaches here in Colorado; they are some of the best in the country, comparable to Georgia peaches. Last week I stocked up on a bunch and new I had some baking in order. I thought I wanted to make a pie, but opted for a cobbler instead and not just any cobbler, Peach Thyme Cobbler. You heard me right "Thyme" as in the herb. Its one of those combinations that speak volumes and I used some of the thyme that I planted in my little patio container garden.



Start by peeling the fuzzy skin off the peach, this is probably the most tricky part of the whole recipe. But if your peaches are ripe enough it won't cause you too much of a problem.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cut a "X" at the bottom of each peach, drop in boiling water for one minute, transfer to an ice bath to stop any cooking. After a minute in the ice bath peel skin off.
Cut and core peach. 

Toss fruit with Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Lemon and Cornstarch.
Place in an oven proof baking dish and bake at 350ºF for 10 minutes.

While peaches are baking, prepare cobbler topping.

Combine Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Brown Sugar, Salt, and Fresh Thyme.
Cut in Cold Butter, once butter is cut in to "pea" sized shape, mix in buttermilk.

After Peaches have baked for 10 minutes, remove from oven and "drop" cobbler topping by the teaspoon full onto fruit. Sprinkle with a little sugar and return to oven for another 10-12 minutes until cobbler topping is fully baked. 

Top with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream. 



Peach and Thyme Cobbler

Makes 4 individual servings

For the filling:
8 medium sized peaches, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon

For the topping:
1 Cup Flour, I used whole wheat
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 Cup Buttermilk


Garnish:
Powdered Sugar and Ice cream


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!