Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Posole and being sick...

Happy Wednesday everyone, hope you're staying warm and healthy. I'm surrounded by some sickie sicker sons, Boo has some sinus issue, Liam has a rough cough, and I'm just feeling blah. Lots of hot tea, fireplaces, and soup  happening around here. So this post will be short and sweet.

Whenever sickness hits me, I eat as much spicy foods, garlic, and hot tea as I can handle. A combination that I believes helps me get better. So when everyone got sick I knew the perfect thing to make...Posole. Posole is a traditional Mexican soup that I've been eating since I've been in the restaurant business. This particular recipe I've had for a couple of years, I got is out of a Men's Health magazine. I'm sorry, I'm that asshole that rips up the magazine while I wait getting my car's oil changed.


This soup has everything I want, lots of garlic and spicy heat from the adobo chili. Its a snap to put together and had us feeling a little better in no time.


What are your go to foods when you are sick?

Posole

adapted slightly from a Men's Health Magazine

Serves 6

3 Tablespoons Canola Oil

Vegetable mix:
1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Poblano Chili, deseeded and chopped
1 Red Pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 Jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
2 Cups of Kale 
1 Head of Garlic, rough chop (yes, a whole head)

Spice mix:
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
Zest from One Orange
1 Chipotle Pepper, chopped (from a can in chipotle peppers in adobo)
1 Tablespoon Adobo Sauce (from can)

2 14.5 ounce cans of White Hominy, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 ounce can Chopped Tomatoes with juice
5 Cups Chicken Stock

1 Pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

1/3 Cup Fresh Lime Juice

Garnish:
Radishes, Avocado, Goat Cheese, Tortilla Chip Strips

In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add veg mix and cook until softened, about 15 minutes.
Add spice mix and turn heat to high, until fragrant for spices.
Add hominy, tomatoes, and stock; bring to a boil.
Add chicken breast whole, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
Pull chicken breasts from soup, shred meat and return to pot.
Simmer on medium low for 30 minutes.
Add lime juice.
Garnish to your liking.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Have a great day!